10 questions to ask your doctor if joint replacement is considered as a treatment option for relieving your pain...
This "Resource Center" gives you general information for considering joint replacement as an option for relieving your pain. The questions below take you a step further, providing a way for you to discuss this procedure -- as it applies to you and your pain -- with your doctor.
Click here to print out these questions and take them along on your doctor visit:
- Are there any other pain relief options for me that could work as well as joint replacement?
- If I have joint replacement, how much will it relieve my pain?
- How is the procedure done?
- What do you do to manage the pain after the surgery?
- What are the risks or complications of joint replacement?
- How long will I be in the hospital -- and how soon after having the procedure can I get back to normal daily activities?
- Is joint replacement covered by my health insurance?
- After the procedure, will I continue to see you or my regular doctor for follow-up care?
- If I decide to have joint replacement, which kind of prosthesis do you think will be best for me? Why?
- If I have joint replacement, will you perform my surgery?